Wednesday 13 August 2014

My Chair Really Can Fly!

Ever since last summer we have been counting down the days until the festival season began again, and on Saturday it finally did! Before we left though, a photographer came from the Daily Mirror  as they were doing a follow-up on some of the previous Pride of Britain winners. That was an amazing night, and I'll definitely write all about it some time soon.


Candice and I all ready to go!
 
We were really lucky last year at Total Access Live to be able to get a spot very close to the front ,but we never expected to even nearly match that for the second time. At most concerts there is a designated platform for wheelchair users, but it's that far from the stage that it's practically in the next county! I understand that for some people it might be good to be away from the lights and loud noises, and of course I wouldn't want to block the rest of the crowds view, but you honestly need binoculars if you actually want to see anything! We arrived a few hours before the gates opened, and sat at the front of the accessible queue with our stress levels rising uncontrollably until it was time to go in. They let the VIP's and the wheelchair users in a few minutes early to avoid the crush, but it was just enough time to have a little head start.

The distance from the queue to the stage...
 
As soon as we were given the go ahead I, along with my PA, Sally, headed for the stage with my chair on top speed - I never knew it could actually fly! It was so touching when the people that had arrived before us were cheering me on and saved me a space on the barrier. I couldn't believe that we'd made it to the front ahead of a crowd of 15,000!
 

 So stressful, but so worth it! (Front row, middle right)
 
I don't know what I'd do without my chair at these concerts, because if I couldn't go up and down, I wouldn't see a thing! I have an Etac Balder, donated by Caudwell Children (http://www.caudwellchildren.com/)  and it really is out of this world. It's quite entertaining because some of the singers/bands on stage spend a long time looking down at me and the chair in the crowd, just trying to work how on earth a wheelchair user has got so close! My Neater Arm Supports (http://www.neater.co.uk/) are also fantastic for festivals, as without them, how would I be able to join in with my arms in the air and clapping along?
 
There were lots of great acts this year, but Union J and Ollie Marland had to be my favourites. We first met Ollie at the opening of The Donna Louise Children's Hospice's (http://www.donnalouisetrust.org/) charity shop in Stoke in 2012, and since then we've seen him at a fair few different events and concerts.
 
Me and Ollie Marland, Dec. 2012
 

He has been so genuinely lovely every time and, as well as being extremely good looking, he's very talented. He is becoming more famous by the day, having just signed his first record deal, but none of it has stopped him really caring about his fans, and he goes out of his way whenever he can to ensure that each and every one of them feels special. We're also so privileged to have got to know his biggest fans, his parents, who have also gone out of their way to make magical things happen for Ollie's supporters.
 

 One of the best moments of my life when Ollie mentioned me on stage!
 


After staying until the very end and then having to bump my way back across the field and negotiate my way around the mountains of litter, it must have been at least midnight by the time we got home, but we were still up at the crack of dawn the next morning to get ready for OsFest! This was a much smaller festival, but they still had some really big acts such as Luke Friend and Union J (again, I know!). From the event organisers to the security and parking staff, everyone was so kind and helpful which really does make all the difference - we even got a VIP upgrade! My Mum and Sally were able to relax in style, whilst my sister and I were frozen to the barrier, determined not to move until the very end. We amazingly managed, after bumping over the field on turbo charge again, to squeeze onto to the front row, smack bang in the centre!
 
My amazing chair working it's magic! (http://www.etac.com/uk)
 

More people started to arrive as the time for some of the bigger acts neared, but the wind also began to pick up rather rapidly too. During one set (Elyar Fox for those interested), the whole of the crowd had to be moved to the other end of the field as there was a high risk of the stage blowing down onto us all. There were some rather angry people as you can imagine, as some had camped overnight just to get a spot near the front. We were really disappointed obviously, but kind of accepted that we weren't going to even get close to where we were before - that's if it continued at all! I completely understand, and it wasn't their fault that there happened to be a passing hurricane on that day! All I can say is thank you so much to the lady that upgraded us!  Because we were VIP's we were able to sit in the tent and try and warm through whilst the people in charge came up with a plan B. I can't drive at all when my fingers freeze which is kind of an issue, and so it was pretty handy really. This luxury also meant that we were that little bit closer to the stage, giving us an advantage if the wind were to eventually drop and the concert to continue.
 
Fortunately, it did in the end, and Candice  and Mum were miraculously the first to get back to the barrier at the front - they are very proud of themselves for that. The girls around were so understanding when they heard that my Mum was only saving the space for me, and when I eventually rolled up they all stepped back and made a corridor for me to squeeze through. The concert was great after that - despite the weather -  and we were recognised by Union J (aaahhh)! The rain really didn't matter because, as long as you keep all your electrics in your chair dry, it really makes no difference. Having said this, there was a very kind person next to me who held up an umbrella in between acts to whom I am very grateful.
 
Here are just some photos of the highlights from the weekend:
 
Union J - Total Access Live!
 
You can just about see us on the front row!
Photo credit: Signal 1
 
 
Union J - OsFest!
 
Luke Friend - OsFest! (He then looked down and put his hand on my arm!)
Photo credit: Aquarian Photography
 
The countdown continue and I'm just polishing my wellies - yes, I do wear wellies - all ready for V Festival!
 


Write soon,
 
Tilly,xox





1 comment:

  1. I feel really finicky reading these articles I mean there are writers that can write reasonable stuff.
    recycled furniture

    ReplyDelete